Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Husband is Better Than Yours

I mean that in the nicest way possible. My husband and I are the perfect match. We are the best team. You put our imaginations and work ethic together and not even the Avengers could stop us. 
I really don't mean he is better than your husband. He is just better for me than your husband...that sounds weird too. I'll just say he is amazing and loves me to the moon and back. 
A few projects we have done together. 
Have you heard of Redesign Goodwill? We love Goodwill but Redesign is just a furniture store. Our hearts skip a beat when we found this place. We were there one day and we saw this old school t.v. It was a bit pricey at $1.00. We skipped it and I was awake all night thinking about it. He had an amazing idea and I wanted that t.v. He went to learn about bacteria and the anatomy of teeth and I went back to Redesign. But when I arrived, it was gone. I panicked. Who would want such an ugly thing? I walked around the store 10 times. Finally I asked the guy there and he looked at me like I was crazy. He told me he pulled it to the back this morning because it had been there for so long and it was just going in the trash. I paid the $1.00 and put it in the car. 
And this is where the love story really begins.....

A before picture with my lovely Vana White.
I bet you didn't know Vana loves Spiderman!


He went to work and pulled out all of the guts. This is a huge t.v. and it was so old and dusty. 


Look Mom, we are on t.v.


Bells helping Daddy measure for the shelves. 


This is where I must have fallen asleep. Because I can't seem to find any pictures of building the inside and priming. But we did. Did you know ACE gives away free paint every year on one weekend. I have it marked on my calendar. I love that day! Well this is the color I had picked out. 
We also had some wood laying around from previous projects. Yep, we always have lots of fun stuff!
I painted the knob / handle thing black too. The whole project cost $1.00. Because we had a few things on hand. But if you don't, it won't cost much at all. A lot cheaper than buying a new boring t.v. stand. 
I am in love and trust me, the love story doesn't end here. 


Yet another Redesign Goodwill find. I think it was $8.00. This stable might look small but it is 38' x 38".  It was in amazing condition. Real wood, nothing broken and sturdy as my husband. (hahaha) 
I started off with staining the legs and bit darker. I used Espresso by Minwax. Miah picked out the color and I love it. 


Next we had to get some cushion because well there is a lot of pirates and dragons around this house which lead to sword fighting and diving around. 
Hobby Lobby has great deals and with the 40% off coupons...it is a steal! I'm not saying to steal it, it is just a great deal. Padding is crazy expensive. Head to Hobby Lobby and you can thank me later. 
We added some to the top and sides.


Miah always says I have lots of crap...his word for crafts. I am making a quilt for our bed and I had the batting and he said we didn't need it at the time. Well, well, well Mr. Smarty pants...
we used the batting for wrapping around the cushion and then stapling it to the bottom. 
Who saved us a trip?


This is where it got tricky. First Miah figured he wanted diamond tufting and marked that on the table and drilled holes so we can make the tufting. We found out fabric on clearance for $1.50 a yard at Walmart. I KNOW!!
But knew we wanted the ledge look, so we cut our fabric in strips and stapled those first. We made our own buttons to match the fabric. Fun and easy! We used a needle that was about a foot long, not really but it seemed that way. We did the whole tufting thing and got the look we wanted. After we finally stapled the fabric to the bottom. 


The staples were showing and that just couldn't be. Decorative nail heads to match the stain color. Added those on. 


I love it. The fabric is hard to see but it is small stripes of blue and green...ocean like colors. 
Please ignore the ugly but amazingly chairs on the sides. I got those babies for $40 and we are just waiting to find the right fabric to reupholster the bad boys. Also the frame needs a pic. I have one picked out just waiting for a good time. 


You always have to look cool and throw some books in the family room. Miah made me the large one and my lovely mom gave me the chicken soup for the Hawaiian soul. Yep, we miss it like crazy!


A nice shot of the nail head trim...oh man, some might be a little crazy but that is what homemade looks like. And we love it!


My last little love. I needed, yep needed a place to store shoes and sit int he entry way. So he made me this amazing bench. Once again free paint from ACE! Please feel free to swing on in and say hi. We need some visitors. With the weather in the 118 degrees nobody comes to play.

I know saying my husband is better than yours isn't nice. And it may not be true. But he is perfect for me and we go together like peanut butter and honey! 
So when I say he is better than yours...
I mean it in the best way, as for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment