Monday, September 9, 2013

Skirts Are Life


As you  may know I have a tomboy of a daughter. Her love for dinosaurs, pirates, dragons and super heroes are just the beginning. What I love about her is how much she loves skirts. 
She will play rough and tough but have a skirt on. I really believe she just likes how free they are and with the temperatures still being in the 110 degree range, they feel nice. 
She grows and grows and never stops. Clothes are way too expensive these days and seriously, you can pay a lot less by just making them yourself. Plus they get to be self designed. 
I had made her a skirt awhile ago and she would wear it every day. She paired it with her favorite shirt that reminded her of Hawaii. I decided it was a great excuse to hit Jo-Ann Fabrics!

Both of us fell in the love with the circle skirt. A very simple skirt and you can bust out a few in an hour. I have made myself one and her a few. The choice of fabric is endless.  She likes the silks, they flow and spin nicely. 

Here is a link to a tutorial if you want to try- 

http://www.danamadeit.com/2010/09/the-circle-skirt-tutorial.html

The first one is a white with white dots, kinda hard to tell. I wanted one that she can match with anything, even spiderman. 
As you can tell, being just cotton, it also spins nicely. 
I decided to take pictures through out a week and a half of all her skirts. 
She actually didn't mind the idea of me following her around with a camera every once in awhile. 


Her first and favorite. It is silk and of course has blue, which she picked because it was her Daddy's favorite color. You can even play dodge ball while wearing a skirt!


Her favorite outfit, circle blue skirt with her hawaiian shirt. 


Now for the jersey skirt. I don't have a pattern, I just made it up as I went. 
I have had 3 amazing colors of jersey knit fabrics for about 2 years. They are so soft and silky. 
She is a punk! 
(I love this front porch decoration!) 
Once again I grabbed spare wood from Miah's pile and added some screws and painted a nice aloha!
It helps put a smile on my face as I walk into the house. 


These jersey skirts I believe are my favorite. They can be dressed up or down. I love them!


A blue jersey skirt. She loves to skateboard! 


A white and blue dotted circle skirt. 


More spinning, she just cant get enough of it. 


I really do enjoy this fabric a lot. 


The last of the jersey. I love this green and this is by far the silkiest knit I have ever touched!
She helped me deliver some mail in this cute little outfit. 


Perfect for playing hopscotch!
Look how well the fabric moves with her!


She is a monster at hopscotch!


Nice action shot, huh?!


At first I wasn't sure if a black would make her look gothic or not but I went with it and I really like it. 
It is black but it has swirls and it is adorable! 



Do you like her Ninja Turtle slippers? 
She does!
Like an everyday kind of love. 


My other favorite! A plaid with gray, white and black. So cute!


I was so excited with the jersey knit fabrics because I had just enough to make us matching skirts with all three. She loved it more than I did. The other day she wanted to match. Miah was so proud!


I love my spunky ninja turtle skirt wearing kid!
She really is such a blessing to this family.
Now it is time to go make yourself some skirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment